Thursday, April 05, 2007

No Longer a Church Lady!


Do you remember how it was the very first day of your job? Kind of scared, not expecting too much, but then you find that this working thing isn't too bad. Well my day wasn't exactly like that.

After being cut off by a very rude, pushy and bully of a truck driver, on Highway 1, my beloved and I made our way down to my work for the very last time. That should have been a hint as to how the rest of the day would go.

As it turned out, it was a day like any other, very busy, especially in a church office on the day of Maundy Thursday. A service tonight, Good Friday service tomorrow, and two Easter Services, Sunrise service and Easter Celebration service Sunday, which translated to a church secretary, means a lot of work! What with bulletins and notes and plans to be made, I still had to clear out, which was no mean feat. Other than well wishes from all of my beautiful children, and the Pastor who on the eve of the busiest time of the church year offered yesterday to take me out to lunch, which I refused because he is so busy, nary a word from anyone in the congregation. You wouldn't have known it was mylast day. Not a word, not a card, not even a dandylion! Was I expecting too much? I don't really think that someone perhaps telephoning and wishing me well, would be too much to ask, do you? Well live and learn I always say. Just because you work in a church it doesn't mean you will always encounter "grace".


So today for me was filled with excitement, disappointment and a bit of a let down. But the good news is, I won't be working on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sundays any more! Hip Hip Hooray!



4 comments:

Mrs. Merriman said...

Happy Retirement, Momma A!!! So happy for you :) Now you get to enjoy your kids, babes, friends and family that much more! As my MIL proudly says, "If I don't get it done today it can be done TOMORROW!"

Allyson said...

Dotta "C" your MIL is so right. I am looking forward to that too, I'll do it tomorrow. Thanks for the lovely wishes. Have a very Happy Easter with your little bun-bun Ben! xxx

cathy said...

Mom,

I am so happy for you! You can now do all of the things you have been looking forward to, or not. Do nothing if you want!!

I am sorry that church didn't even give you a card or anything. Reminds me of when I left the daycare/preschool and had Cameron and they didn't even give me a card. That was sad. Remember how much Cameron cried when he met "her."

Love you,

Cathy xo

Allyson said...

Oh Cathy I do remember, same idea, uber-religious group, no Grace. What can we say to that one? And yes, I remember the large lady holding Cameron and him screaming his head off. He knew how poorly they treated his lovely momma. Out of the mouths of babes, aye Cath?

Thanks for the wishes honey bunch, when, oh, when, will we be able to e-mail again? Isn't it too weird? Well, now that I'm retired, ha ha, I'll be able to hit the big TO-DO LIST!, ugh! Love you so much,
Mom xxxooo