Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Twenty-Two Hours with Abby or The Many Faces of Abby






Momma said we should comb my hair, but Nanny said, no momma, look how beautifully it all shows up when I have the mustled look!

Abby was getting pretty sick of having the camera always pointed at her and I swear, she closed her eyes on purpose! These would have made great Christmas Cards if her eyes were open!

Abby's version of flipping nanny the bird????






Abby sure has great looking parents doesn't she!




Owing to a new baby, snow, new back to work routines, conferences, and life, it had been a very long time since our last visit to Abby's house. This past Saturday I finally reconnected with our little Copper-Top, Abby.








It makes a Nanny and a Pappa feel bad when one of their little rays of sunshine make strange. Not that she didn't smile at us, or give us things, it was just the holding she wasn't too sure of. But being as outgoing as she is, Abby soon decided that we were okay afterall, whew! Whew because one of the main reasons for visiting was to babysit while her mommy and daddy went out to a Christmas Party.

I got to feed her "bunnies" (organic noodles in the shape of), yoghurt and banana, gave her a bath, and got to read "Find the Duckie" to her several times over. She's a little bookworm, and find the duckie she did-too cute.

Daddy put her down, they got ready. I got secret passwords to get onto Facebook, mastered the high definition channels, ate junk food, had a nap even and then . . . . Abby work up about twenty to eleven. She was standing up in her crib crying. When she saw me, she cried even harder. Poor little lamb. I tried all the tricks that mommy and daddy had suggested, all to no avail. She asked for her Daadddy, tried looking around the dresser into the hall, said the sad words, buh bye and did her little hand wave. She was disconsolate. When I did manage to calm her down, she was doing that huge heavy, inward breathing sighing thing-that was enough to make me want to weep. There was only one thing to do, yup, I did it-I called her parents, went back upstairs, covered her in a blanket and took her downstairs. She was getting better by the minute. I put this show about JP Patches on and we waited for mommy and daddy to come home. And this is the part that made me almost laugh hysterically, that is, if I wanted to be ultra noisy, I would have. When Mommy and Daddy came in, talking away, saying hello, putting items on the kitchen counter and in the fridge, Abby didn't even notice them! Oh Abby, you are so funny. She snubbed them big time!

Daddy with his magic touch, put her down, and fast to sleep she went.
In the morning we had breakfast, we played, we read, we took pictures. I taught her to say her name and point to herself, we had lunch and a nap, and about 2:30 Pappa came and we said our goodbyes. I wished I had taken a picture of that goodbye-but I didn't, I was feeling too sad. Abby, you are adorable and clever and smiley and wonderful. I sure hope your mommy and daddy will let me come for another sleepover soon.



Mommy and Daddy's Christmas Elf


Pappa, take her home, and take that camera with you!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom, thanks for your lively report of your 24hour visit to the Besth's household! I enjoyed reading your perspective. You (and Dad) are always welcome to sleep in the spare room.
We certainly missed your presence when you left.
Love to you both! Abby says Abby and besides that she loves you too.
xoxo

Allyson said...

Awww Abby, we love you too! Hugs and Kisses. xxxooo

cathy said...

Oh finally pictures of my adorable little niece!

Sounds like an adventure! And, April...your hair looks GREAT.

Too bad your evening was cut short...but glad you both could get out too (always nice)

And what a great set of parents we all have eh! We are so lucky.

xo

PamnPat'sParadise said...

Sounds like quite the visit! Nanny and her camera - I'm a lot like you with that silly thing so I always love all your pictures!

Hope you get to go back for another visit soon!

Allyson said...

Cathy, Abby certainly needed a little equal time-ha ha! And FYI, it turned out that the parental units were just in the process of saying goodbye! ha ha

Pam, thank you. I feel so lucky that I have time to go and love all of our Grandchildren. And you can be sure, I will go back for another sleepover. Soon.

Hope Walls said...

I love the closed-eye pictures lol. That would be all 4 of my kids when they see the camera coming, except they are usually interspresed with eye-rolling pictures...

I kind of wish I could convince my Mom to blog - I imagine her stories and your stories would ring similarly. I'll have to blog about the time Serejane had a sleepover and was SO SURPSISED that Nanook had milk, JUST like at HER house lol!