Thursday, December 13, 2007

Melton the Warm-Hearted Snowman

Carly in the purple scarf. This was the best shot I could get, pathetic. Sorry about that Carly!

Our dancing Elf, Cameron.
He really enjoyed himself up there, you can tell.
Cameron at the microphone and Claire below him in the purple scarf. Glad I got them together in one shot.

Cameron peeking around his teacher's back! You've got to be fast.



Today I took a step back in time, of at least 29 years or so. I attended our grandchildren's school "Christmas" Programme. Three of our grandchildren were involved and it was wonderful. Pappa held down the fort at home with a sleeping Caroline and a playful Catie. Cathy, Courtney and I had pretty good seats in a school gym packed full of ultra-proud parents, grandparents, aunties and uncles.

This "Christmas" programme was far superiour to any our children were involved in because it meant that the entire body of primary K-3 classes were all involved and in the room at the same time. My hats go off to the teachers especially the teacher who put it all together. So many laughs, witty dialogue and children having such a great time. Watching all of the children sing and do actions was very special. This year also marked the first, but hopefully not the last year, that one of our grandchildren had a speaking part 3 lines, but 3 important lines. There was Cameron dancing around on the stage-priceless. Hopefully his Daddy will capture it on video tonight and Cathy will share it on her blog.

Before the programme began the Grade 7 band played 4 songs, including Ode to Joy. I love beginning bands don't you? I remember at one of our children's concerts, the audience has to guess what the song was, nobody did, too funny, but that wasn't the case today. What a wonderful experience. And I couldn't help but wonder how many of those children will keep on with their flutes, clarinets, drums and horns. They will be happy if they do.
Following the band, a choir of about 20 children sang the most beautiful of songs. The words when children sing them really tug at the old heartstrings.

I did manage to get a few pictures. I should have changed the setting had I thought about it ahead of time, and there was a man almost always blocking my view to Carly, but in my mind's eye, the pictures are there to be recalled. Here is a small and not great sampling of today.

Beautiful Claire singing so sweetly. Isn't she beautiful? Watching her enjoy herself almost made me cry. She's had a bit of a hard start at school, but is doing better and better as we all knew she would. So seeing her enjoy herself and being so involved made me feel so happy for her.










3 comments:

Hope Walls said...

Hi, MMM!!! I always love the Grandmama's perspective - and let me tell you, I take pictures for a living and I *still8 get shots like this at the school concerts. The best part is, it doesn't matter if the pictures are dark or out of focus, because just looking at them, yur mind brightens them up and brings the memory into crisp focus, and it's like being there all over again. Thank you for sharing this - I love it!

Allyson said...

Aw, thank you for your kind words both about the perspective of a granny and photo expertiese, or should I say, my lack there of! I know from lurking on your blog, you take beautiful pictures. I look forward to seeing more of yours soon.

cathy said...

Mom, I had a great time with you sharing Mentos, giggles and tears.

It was fun. Love you!

xo