Saturday, December 15, 2007

And the Money Keeps Rolling In


In a previous post I know I wrote about how when my beloved and I walk we often find money. A nickel here, a penny there, an American one dollar bill (when it was worth way more than it does today), and the biggest so far, a Five dollar bill found on a very early morning walk. Whatever we find, we put it in a jar on our fridge. Waiting for the day it's filled to the top so that we can count it.



Last week we travelled into Richmond for our visit to the dentist and I proposed to my beloved that we walk our old route if the rains held off. Well held off they did and we headed out on the dykes along River Road, past the new Olympic Skating Oval (don't get me started on that subject! grrrr), they've wrecked the dyke walk, inching the fence right bang up against it to squeeze out every last puny inch for the construction site. Sadder still, they've removed a grove of huge, mighty oaks that someone planted probably a hundred years or more ago. Very sad.

We got off the dykes and walked over the Dinsmore Bridge, stopped at the Airport McDonalds (our old walking destination) for a coffee and headed back south over the 2 Road Bridge. On the walk back along the dykes we spotted a group of ducks some swimming and others sunning themselves on a log in the South Arm of the Fraser. I had forgotten how beautiful that sight was. As we were halfway along the dykes towards our return destination, I looked down and found this:

Twenty-Five dollars-almost. We took it to the bank but they said we would have to mail it to the Bank of Canada. They will determine based on the remainder of the bills, a percentage of the amount of money we submit, a refund.
We're guessing that someone pulled something out of their pocket, and this dropped out, and then the muni lawn cutting machine quite likely ate the rest. I just think that if this were still our regular route we might have found a little bit more or it.

The jar is filling up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Rollin' in the dough! I like how you put a pen beside the jar to show scale. Nice touch! :-)
Keep on the search on your daily walks...that's nice to have walked in your old hood despite all the changes. I bet it unrecognizable now. Sad very sad.
xo

Allyson said...

I thought you'd like the pen :)
Today Claire gave me a penny she found in her closet. She told me to put it in my jar-I did! Yah, the skating oval looms so large and high, you can see it from miles back. Don't like it. Guess I'm getting old, don't like the changes. xxoo

cathy said...

I never even noticed the pen...maybe because I am sleep deprived!