Saturday, June 16, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom


Today is my beautiful mother's birthday. She is 86 years young, and when I say young, I mean it. Young at heart, young in spirit, wise beyond measure.

As a little girl growing up my mom was one of the few that worked outside the home. I remember once when I went to Churchill High School mom received a telephone call from a mother who was in a different "tax bracket" than we were, and she called mom about attending the P.T.A. meetings which were held during the daytime. I recall being slightly embarassed that this mom, who also happened to be the mother of one of the girls that I perceived to be the most popular in our class, now knew that my mom worked inside and outside the home! Boy did I have that all wrong! My mom, who could talk to the Premier of the Province, the butcher or office manager with equal grace, ease and intelligence, was a force to be reckoned with and greatly respected. But most of all loved by me, my sister, my brother and my Dad.

My mom, trying to get out the door of the childcare centre where she left my sister and I when she went off to work, and I wanted nothing to do with it. We always needed to put on in-door shoes or slippers I guess and my dear mommy desperate for a way to placate this crying child by negotiating with me and the school to allow me to wear my black patent shoes with buckles. I can still feel, sense, and hear the sound of my foot being strapped into the shoes.

I remember with such pride as my beautiful mom drove our yellow convertible carrying who knows who in the Annual Kelowna Regatta Parade. We didn't care who she was driving around, just that she looked so beautiful!

Another time, my mom driving this same yellow convertible and being pulled over by the police because a yellow convertible, probably with another gorgeous blond driving it, had just been involved in a hold-up or some-such thing only hours before. Did our family ever get a laugh out of that one!

My mom, also known as "Brown Owl" when my sister and I were in Brownies. Virtually knitting the 6 inch squares for us for one of our badges. We were both hopeless, as we twisted and knitted and pearled and sweated and held the wool so tightly around our fingers! Needless to say, neither my sister or I are knitters to this day! Thanks Mom!

Waking up on the morning of my 7th Birthday, to the most beautiful red dress lying at the bottom of my bed. My hard working mother sewed this for me, when? In the middle of the night most likely, just so "her baby" would be surprised and delighted on her birthday. I still am, when I think of this gift today!

My mom, not crying at our wedding because she thought I wasn't. I was. She was brave.

My mom, for the countless times she took our 3 little girls so that her tired out daughter and son-in-law could have a little break.

The countless times we've cried on her shoulder and by the end of the discussion, finding something to laugh about!

Learning what unconditional love means, only the way my mom could for us, and us alone. We are blessed.

Happy Birthday Mom.

3 comments:

Mrs. Merriman said...

As always Momma A you have a wonderful way with words!! Love hearing your stories as a child. I think I could listen to them for hours and hours!

Allyson said...

Ah you are too sweet my child. Everyone has stories, we need to share them with each other, because that is what makes us who we are, right? I'll bet Ben has big plans for his Daddy tomorrow. Have a great day my love. xx

cathy said...

I love those stories Mom! And I really love that photo of Grannie and Pappa. Even cooler that I look so much like Gran, even my arms! I noticed you did the post in Gran's favourite colour too!

Happy Birthday Grannie, I love you so much. I am so glad we could all celebrate last night together. You looked as beautiful as you did in the photo Mom has posted.

Love you both xo