Friday, August 04, 2006

Apple Dumplings Piled Up to The Sky

I wonder if anyone remembers an old Disney cartoon and this poor starving character was dreaming of food, glorious food, and he sings a song about it, and one of the line goes, Apple Dumplings Piled Up to the Sky! Well I'm having nightmares about apples, way too many of them.

When we moved to The Grove as we call it, I don't think we realized it meant we had an apple grove, (and where the heck is the walnut grove anyway we still haven't found one? But I digress.) With only 2 trees, I guess a grove would be putting too fine a point to it, so not really a grove, thank goodnes, but we are blessed with apples galore and they are beginning to drop from the tree. The sad thing is, we don't even know what kind they are, but the "red" ones are ever so tastey (even if some of the apples have a few marks on the outside) and "green" ones smell heavenly and are looking pretty fine. Just ask my Grandson Cameron who took great delight at pointing out how heavy the branches were!

Since we don't have a freezer, as in the family sized one that used to take up space in our former laundry room, we will soon be overrun. Believe me two people can only eat so much apple betty, I know we've tried, or so much apple sauce and even though I was a baker's daughter, I don't make apple pies and the idea of running them through the juicer leaves me non-plused. So we invite you to dig out your favourite apple recipe and then come around for a bag of apples. We've got plenty to go around. So don't be shy!

3 comments:

cathy said...

Hi Mom! I will take a bag of apples! Yummy.

Oh, to have apple trees. I would be so lucky lol. Only cucumber here, and it didn't even taste good. Darn it.

I want to make some apple betty for the family! Cameron and the girls will love that!

Allyson said...

Oh Goodie, my first taker, and I'm not surprised it's my darling daughter! Get out the oatmeal and the cinnamon and juice, flour and butter! We've got apples enough for the entire Empey Clan!

The poor cuke had too much pressure put on it! You know how that goes-ha ha

cathy said...

Mommy!? What are you talking about lol...ha ha.

Can't wait for apples! Yummy! Thanks Mom!