Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sewing Up Dreams

For the first time in many weeks I managed to carve out enough time in my day (not to mention good lighting, as in daylight), to do a little sewing. Nothing fancy. Just straight lines, I almost excell at straight lines.

I sewed Claire a bag with a drawstring. She needs the bag for Kindergarten for her shoes and smocks and whatever else the teacher in her wisdom requires of parent's of kindergarten children. I also sewed 9 soft and comfy receiving blankets and 2 burp cloths for my Daughter April and her Husband Nick's baby, whom we lovingly refer to as "BB". Not items of any great import that is for sure, but as I was sewing I couldn't help but dream dreams for what lies ahead for both Claire and "BB". All of life's lessons -- everything from the elemental need to be swaddled and learning to pass your own burp to learning to be a Doctor, which Claire thinks she wants to be. Sewing up the hopes and dreams from a Nanny who only wants the very best that life can offer her beloved Grandchildren. All of them, Claire, "BB", Cameron, Carly, Catie and Caroline too!

As I was sewing I recalled something my dear friend Helen Johnson, now deceased, and one fantastic and real seamstress used to say. (She sewed me some beautiful dresses in my day, not to mention my wedding dress, and all the girls their graduation dresses and the beautiful Christening Gown worn at all 4 grandchildren's Christenings, and soon Miss Caroline will wear it too, and hopefully "BB" too), but I digress. She always used to say, "I say a prayer for the bride and groom with each stich I put into a wedding gown". I always remember that as I sew and you can believe me when I say it, that as I sewed each of these simple items, I said a prayer for Claire and "BB" too.

Sweet and Happy Dreaming Claire and "BB" it's all yours for the taking!

Love,
Nanny
xxxooo

5 comments:

PamnPat'sParadise said...

Those grandchildren of yours are very lucky to have you for a Grandmother - I'm sure they are as loved by you and they are by their wonderful mother. You raised a wonderful woman!

cathy said...

Oh Mom, that is so nice that you remembered that about Helen. I sure miss her. Thank you for sewing up Claire's drawstring bag for her! I love the fabric...so trendy. I am thinking you have about 4 more drawstring bags to sew up if you include "BB" too! I am so excited to meet BB!

Allyson said...

To pamnpat'sparadise -- Hi Pam?, thank you for your kind words.

You are so right, the kids are truly lucky to have such a great mom. We were over there the other day, and from the prospective of our quiet home - just Nanny and Pappa -- we went over there and it was happy bedlam and there was Cathy, and Cliff too, making an individual big deal over each of their children, like there wasn't anything else going on in the whole wide world! I stand in awe of their parenting skills.

Allyson said...

Hi Cathy, I miss her too. It's funny what little thing prompts a reminder of someone isn't it? Like when I dust my buffet, there is that lovely card she water-coloured for me sitting on the little stand. I always smile as I remember her. She was such a positive influence in so many lives. Now she is one of the Saints!

Did Claire see the picture of her bag? Does she think she's going to like it?

As for "BB", and Carly and Catie and Caroline, I would be honoured to make one for each and every one my little heart-worms!

cathy said...

Hi Mom,

Yes, Claire saw the images of the bag, and now she wants it right away! It looks so nice. I love that watercolour that Helen did too. I still have the 3 quilts she made for Cameron, then Claire and then Carly. Too bad she wasn't here to make one for Catie and Caroline. I am sure she would have made them really nice. Sewing her prayers into those stiches too. She was certainly lovely, and I loved going to her home. Full of fabrics and notions. It was like she could sew ANYTHING! She was so talented.