Friday, August 18, 2006

A Sunflower for Miss Carly

On the eve of my beautiful grand-daughter Carly's 4th Birthday I can't help but think how quickly her four little years have gone. From the moment she came into the world, we have been blessed by her presence in our lives. I cannot imagine life without her.

I have all these lovely images in my head. Her first breath. Pappa and I were at her birth, the only one in her family, except of course for her mommy's birth! Her huge giggles and smiles as an infant. Bathing her in the kitchen sink. Helping to care for her when her mom was recuperating from surgery and being there the first thing in the morning to see that smile as big as Texas. I remember crying all the way home from Cloverdale to Richmond when I left to go home. Her Baptism at Our Saviour Lutheran, and all the wonderful pictures of her siblings, friends and cousins sitting on the church pew right at the very front of the Sanctuary, the very spot her Nanny and Pappa sat when her mommy and daddy were married. Carly sitting up on the rug, inching her way forward to pick up the book that was sitting on the floor -- and the look of delight and accomplishment in her face when she reached forward and picked it up. And when my father died, baby Carly being there for us to snuggle and love when the void was too much too bear. This loving child, who seeks out my lap when I'm sitting down always commenting on the cross I wear around my neck saying "Pappa made that" or simply the word "Jesus". Or asking me again, "how come you have spots on your teeth?"

Oh yes, our Carls is a big girl now, pumping herself on the swing, jumping so high on the trampoline with her strong little calf muscles, climbing up the green slide, making crafts at the table, pasting down items while counting as her preschool teacher taught her do, one, two, three, four, five, six, while her little finger tips turn white from pressing so hard. Going down a three story slide with her Pappa at the Walnut Grove Pool, through a tunnel, twisting and turning, sliding down, down, down, arriving at the bottom of the slide with the biggest smile you ever saw, asking to go again and again! She says she going to be a Singer when she grows up she says and I believe it -- she loves to sing.

This dear little girl with a face that reminds me of a Reubens painting, how we love her so. Carly Ann, Nanny and Pappa love you very much. Have a wonderful fourth year little one, we can't wait to see what you will do next!

How did we get so lucky?

4 comments:

cathy said...

Oh Mom. That was very touching. She has made our life very happy. Her big loving smile, and her strong hugs. She brings us all great joy. Thank you for that Mom.

I love you.

Mrs. Merriman said...

:D That made me tear up! What touching words from a super Nanny! I know I haven't known her for long but I do know that she truly is a happy, joyful, bright, blessed little spark of a girl!!

Allyson said...

Cathy, you are truly blessed by all your little wonders.
We love you dearly, Mom/Nanny and Dad/Pappa

Allyson said...

Hi Cynthia, she is indeed a little spark as in spark plug! Thank you for your kind words. Take care and I look forward to reading more in your new blog! Allyson