Friday, August 11, 2006

Pink Roses for My Sister

It's my sister's birthday today and just like when I was sharing a bed with her (we did that until we moved to Vancouver when I was 12) when I first woke up, I said to myself, instead of to her, "it's Madeleine's birthday".

It's amazing to me that no matter how old you get and I'm getting up there, some things are never forgotten. A birthday was something to be celebrated, excitement of presents, whether yours or hers, no matter -- cake, candles, fun. Possibly a new dress that mom made for you if you were the birthday girl, and new black patent shoes to go with it, a package from our Granny in Winnipeg, gifts from your siblings and friends. The possibilities were endless and the anticipation almost as great as if it were Christmas morning.

My first best friend was my sister and my brother too of course, but he was a boy and 6 years older than me so our relationships were different. My sister and I played dollies together, went to Brownies, my mom was "Brown Owl", swam in the lake in Kelowna, we both hated the peach fuzz rubbed on our cheeks by our brother Richard in jest, rode the school bus together, or when we moved into town, rode our bikes to school together, tried knitting-can you say diaster, delighted in wearing outfits that were the same, and we slept together. On nights when we didn't want to go to sleep, and I'm sure that was most nights, we would talk into the night until mom or dad yelled up, "goodnight girls!" We had this silly saying, I'm going to stab you with my little rubber knife, and with that, we'd poke a finger in each other's back's and laugh uproariously. Dad and mom yelling up, "don't make me come up there!"

Looking back now you wonder, who were those little girls? Life goes on as it must, the mundane happens, wonderful things happen, sad things happen, but through it all that sisterly friendship lingers, haunts, delights. And on this day, August 11th, I thank my beautiful sister Madeleine for all of the love and patience, advice -- solicited and unsolicited, care and concern. You are loved and admired by me for all you do and for how you have carried yourself through adversity, hell and triumph! The pink roses I brought you today aren't enough. I love you Maddie, Happy Birthday from your sister, Allyson
xxoo

5 comments:

Ana said...

How wonderful! I love the way you wrote about your relationship with your sister. Just Lovely!

Allyson said...

Greeting --thank you very much for looking in on my blog. I wish I could read yours too! It all comes from the heart doesn't it?

cathy said...

Mom, that was lovely and I enjoyed reading about the little knife story. Now when I am yelling down the hall to the 3 girls in their room I will think of your story and laugh. Just think, our gals are forming their own special memories of childhood right now! Both Claire and Carly went to bed with braids in their hair tonight. Carly has 3. One on each side, and a french braid down the middle back. Too funny. Claire has one longer braid down the back. I love doing that for them.

Allyson said...

You are so right Cathy. These are the things they will remember and recall as they get older. Even if there is a parting of the ways, temporary of course, the things they are doing today and tomorrow are with them always. I wonder what "their little rubber knife" will be.

Live, Laugh, Love - my three favourite L words! -- xxxooo Mom

cathy said...

Isn't that funny that I love those 3 l words too!

An old boyfriend (RS) always said that to me. Too Funny.