Wednesday, October 17, 2007

To All The Working Mothers


Today I woke up profoundly sad, sad for my daughter April and her little bundle of Sunshine, Abby. Today is the last day of Mat. Leave and April returns to work tomorrow. Such big changes in their family life. In my heart of hearts, I know they will adapt and adjust and while it will be challenging, it will work. Wonderful childcare by Wendy and Irene, has been arranged. Little green tippy cups that match, for each location have been purchased, "practice days" with Abby's new caregivers had been arranged. A myriad of other details, big and small, have been capably and lovingly arranged by Abby's Mommy and Daddy.


This morning we went out for our daily walk, the gloominess of the day didn't help my mood any. On our way back home we caught up with a neighbour's Nanny pushing a baby stroller, having just come from walking one of her little charges to Kindergarten. We've often waved in passing. She always smiles so beautifully at us. Today we walked together and it was during this walk that we discovered that she is looking forward to her holidays on December 31st. She is married and has three children herself. All of her family lives in the Philippines. She is a working mother hoping for a better life for her family, hoping to bring them to Canada. So very far away.


My beautiful niece Andrea, and Cynthia, Irene, Wendy, Tracy, Chris, Laura, Kara, Stephani and Jennifer, to name but a few who come to mind, all juggeling work and motherhood. All working for the betterment of their families. My hat goes off to you. The journey isn't easy. You have my utmost respect and admiration.



What's the Bare Naked Ladies line: "if I had a million dollars, we'd all be rich."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks A.A.! I ALWAYS appreciate your love and support.
I SOOOOO feel for my dear cousin, April. The transition will be difficult and yet as you say, do-able. They will just do what they HAVE to do. They have no choice at the moment. EVERYONE ~ keep buying those lottery tickets! (Especially my family members!LOL).
Andrea xo

Unknown said...

Thank you Mom! My sendiments mirrors cousin Andrea's comments. It was hard returning to work on such a gloomy ugly day...but I knew that Abby LOVES being with Lulu & Wendy so that makes me smile not cry.
And yes, I think it's time for positive thinking like: I will win the lottery!! (maybe there will be a repeat winner one day!!LOL)
Lots of love to you and Dad
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know I try and drop in from time to time.
From what I've read during my visits you have all won the lottery.

Cuzzin Bruce

Allyson said...

Hi, Cuzzin, I think you're right. Life is good. xx