Friday, October 05, 2007

Thanksgiving Weekend Begins





Wishing each and everyone a Very Happy Thanksgiving!





The sun is shining, and the berries on our tree are almost picked clean by the bluebirds, robins and starlings. How I ask, do they know that this tree is ripe for the picking? They hardly even sit on the tree when the berries are growing and then magically one day, in they swoop and pick the tree clean. Thank goodness details like that aren't left up to me to manage. Life is good!
Today I spent a good portion of the morning collecting items for Canadian Lutheran World Relief. Simple things, essential things, yet items that are so hard to come by in other parts of the world. A toothbrush, comb, ruler, 5 pencils, a pencil sharpener, pad of paper, package of kleenex, a bar of soap, a wash cloth and a handtowel and for the very first time we can add a soft little toy. Twelve sets filling up my dining room table. I give thanks that I was able to go out and buy these things. All the contents must be the same, except for the toy, all will be packaged up in a yellow "We Care" bag or packpack and shipped off to Winnipeg for distribution to a destination unknown to us. I send a tiny prayer to each child who receives these packages. Gifts from strangers. A fine tribute of thanks for all that we have been given! Wishing each and every one a very Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THERE YOU ARE! It's been awhile! I've missed your entries!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and UD from the 3 of us.
How kind and generous of you and UD to continue on with the care packages. THANK YOU for doing that. THANK YOU for being YOU! I am sure each child will feel the love and prayer that you filled in each one.
Love, Andrea xo

Allyson said...

Thanks Andrea. Yup, got to admit being a little hooked on FaceBook.
Well you know those kits are near and dear to me. I used to make them up at our former church, anything to do with kids, for kids hits a soft spot with me! Love you dear niece, A.A. xxx