Saturday, May 17, 2008

Come See Where We Walk

Just over three years ago, before we moved to "The Grove" as we refer to our place in the sun, many of our walks on the dykes in Richmond were spent lamenting, "where, oh where would we ever find such a great place to walk when we move?" Believe me when I tell you, walking routes were the furthest thing from our minds, when we were house hunting. Location, location, location, turned to let's hope we can find something half decent in our price range. After a bit of scouring the neighbourhood we found our home. Within the week of moving in we were out tramping the sidewalks taking our daily constitutional. The first few times were spent on the main streets until we asked a young woman, "where does that path go?" She informed us that there were paved walkways all over and this one particular one was great. She was right and totally understated it. Here is a glimpse of the idyllic wonder that awaited us.




This is at the top of the pathway where it takes a steep curve down, down, down


On the descent



Looking back at the path we've just travelled down

The West Yorkson Creek where salmon and trout spawn in November. The view from the bridge



Some of the flora and fauna

There are ferns in abundance after the wet and wild Spring


You can just make out the carpet of tiny purple flowers under this big fir tree as you head up and out of the ravine

Your heart is really pounding by the time you get to this point!



Looking back at the spectacular view

This is an amazing place. Usually about three to five degrees cooler down at the bottom and I'm usually about ten degrees hotter by the time we get to the top. The changes of season are wonderful to watch and the creek so soothing as it babbles down to the Fraser River. A little bit of paradise in the middle of a busy city.

Since discovering this one, we've found several more, but none can compare to this one so close to home, come on girls, I'll race you to the top!




6 comments:

Michelle said...

well if you and I race we'd better watch out for Cathy ... Miss 16.5 k girl :) it looks beautiful Allyson..

cathy said...

That looks really nice, and hopefully one day soon I can join you on a walk!! (Just like the old days right!!!)

Allyson said...

Michelle, the pathway is only wide enough for two, we'll block that little lady's path. It will be tough because she can swoop and run REALLY fast now. I'm thinking the babbling brook is a rushing torrent this morning. Hopefully we'll check it out in a little while.

Cathy, I sure hope we get that chance soon too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking me on that walk with you (boy, am I pooped! LOL). Looks like a fabulous place to walk; glad you found it and that it compares to your walks on the dykes in Richmond. Amazing what is still around and co-existing with this concrete jungle we're making of the world...
Happy Walking you two! xo Andrea xo

Hope Walls said...

I'm a little jealous... can I come walk, too?

Allyson said...

Andrea, we should walk this one, one Saturday! I think you'd like it, and I know I'd love walking it with you.

Hope, you have a permanent offer to come walk with me. I would love to meet you face to face and have a good long chat!