Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thinking of my Dad Today


My dad has been on my mind since my alarm went off this morning. Had he lived, he would have been 91 today.

At dinner last night with my mom she said, dad wouldn't have wanted to live that long. He didn't want to become a burden to anyone. Before he died he was a robust, strong man. He gave the best hugs. He always said he loved me.

I remember his last birthday, his 87th. It just so happened that I was caring for Cathy and her kids, perhaps it was her gall bladder, whatever the reason, I am so glad I was there. I brought the Happy Birthday sign and balloons and hung them up and set up the dining room table where the three of us ate breakfast together. It was so nice, he in his PJ's and his thining hair a little mussed up. Mom and I sang Happy Birthday to him. We ate our Porridge and toast, we drank coffee and he ate his morning banana which he cut up with a paring knife. We reflected on all the good things about life. And because I was staying over, my mom decided the entire family should go out to dinner to celebrate-her treat! As it turned out, this was the last time all of the immediate family were together. Following the dinner only my beloved and I returned to their home. We talked late into the night, shared a few laughs, stories and sighs. It was a wonderful day.

Dad was wise. He was honest. Fiercely independent and private. He knew when to keep his counsel and when to share. He had such a nice way about him, and was so well thought of by young and old alike. He was in love with my Mother until the day he died. He loved and was especially proud of we 3 children, all 7 of his grandchildren, and was blessed to live long enough to see 3 great grandchildren whom he greatly loved and enjoyed. Dad was a real "gentle - man". I was blessed to have him for my dad and I will miss him forever.

3 comments:

cathy said...

I miss you Pappa.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa was in my thoughts pretty much all day yesterday; knowing it was his special day...
I think of him daily (as I do Stella). It's funny how some days it hits me like a truck and I miss him terribly, other days I still miss him of course and sad that he is no longer with us but able to help the sadness pass with my fond memories of him. He truly was a special Grandpa. He touched so many people's lives in different ways and we'll all have our own special memories and stories of our experiences with him. To agree with Cathy ~ he is missed... by all of us. xo Andrea

Mrs. Merriman said...

Aw, so sweet. Happy Birthday, Pappa :) I often feel the same way about my Grandpa, who passed away at Easter four years ago. It really does hit you like a truck at times, Andrea. *hugs* to everyone.