Monday, October 09, 2006

Go, Go, Go, Go, Go . . . . . Stop


Last night we have the most wonderful Thanksgiving Dinner at Earl and Silvana's home. There was food in abundance and everyone in our family, with the exception of Nick and April and BB (they were off feasting at Aunty Jolene's), were there and was it was wonderful.

The table was set so beautifully. And on each place was a napkin holder carefully and lovingly created by our grandchildren. Mine was done by Carly, it had all sorts of wonderful googely eyes on it and stickers and wooden craft pieces. The Queen of England wouldn't dare ask for better! And that was just mine, all of the rest were wonderful, and individually crafted with such care.

Sometime during the day Nona asked all of the children what they were thankful for and their responses were the Dinner grace, written down by and read aloud, by Cameron, twice, because he spoke it so softly. The children were thankful for so many things, Mommy and Daddy of course, but the one that stood out for me that I can remember was Caties-when asked she said she was thankful for her pillow. Amen to that Catie!

We shall I say, stuffed ourselves with Turkey, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, baby sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, also known as jam to some, mashed carrots and turnips (my daddy's favourite), brussels sprouts, bread and buns, and wine. We further indulged in homemade Pumpkin Pie with or without whipping cream-divine, and jewell pie and coffee. We were truly thankful that there wasn't more-our waistlines couldn't take it!

Both before and after supper the children were busy with these neat little Halloween Activity Books so wisely purchased by Aunty Amy and greatly received by the children. You are a star Aunty Amy for this quiet activity! But before dinner I should add, that all of the Men, Uncle Tyler, Papa, Daddy and Cameron were putting together this snap out and put together Fire Engine (now why was that Uncle Tyler?) purchased at the Richmond Night Market. I believe the men thought it was balsa wood, but Cameron understood it to be falsewood! But Pappa, the ultimate authority on wood for some reason, deemed it to be some sort of plywood. As for myself I like Falsewood better!

Maybe it was the turkey, maybe it was the wine,only 1 glass. I don't know what the reason was but I asked the kids did they want to go for a walk? Did they? Well they jumped into action, shoes and hoodies were found in short order and out we all went. We took a sidestreet to see the spooky house (getting ready for Halloween), we saw trees that were entirely yellow, and red. We saw the first stars of the evening.

Just the 5 of us, Catie in her stoller, Carly, Claire, Cameron and me. They walked along so nicely, telling me this and that about whatever it was we passed, so full of information. At one point I said, "if you want to you can run up to such and such a spot", and off they went. It was then that I remembered the old fun game of go, go, go, go, go, stop. They ran backwards, they walked backwards, they walked sideways facing out, they walked sideways facing in, they hopped, they skipped, they ran, they tiptoed, they jogged with such exuberence! What fun to watch these lovely grandchildren of mine so filled with life, laughter and joy. They are the greatest gift of all and I love them all for reminding me over and over again what life is really all about.

I hope that whoever reads this blog today has as wonderful a Thanksgiving Memory as I do. Blessings on your homes, Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom - I loved reading all about your dinner at Silvana & Earl's house last night! We totally missed out on such fun and activities - the dinner sounded scrumptious and I'm glad Amy was well enough to attend with Tyler!
The falsewood story - very cute. I agree, I like the sounds of that over balsawood. Cameron is so smart.
xoxo

Mrs. Merriman said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mom! Mind if I call you Mom?!? You have a wonderful way with words.. :) *hugs* xo

cathy said...

Mom, I loved the way you wrote about our Thanksgiving dinner. It was so much fun.

April we missed you. Where is that baby?!

Cynthia, how was your Thanksgiving?!

Love to you all!

Allyson said...

To All My Girls, April, Cathy, and Cynthia! Thank you for your words. We did miss you A&N but now you know what happened, wait til the techies download their pixs! Cynthia, thank you! Mom's the word, get it?ha ha!

Love you all,
xxxooo

Anonymous said...

Aunty A., a truly beautiful story about your Thanksgiving! It was nice to read about what the "others" got up to! Further to your posted comment from A Thanksgiving Prayer ~ we three are truly blessed to have such a wonderful Aunt and Uncle in our lives! Your girls (and their guys) are so lucky to have you in their lives and be such a part of it all! Your attention to detail and special moments never go un-noticed and there is ALWAYS that positive, good-feeling to everything that you do, say AND write about! Truly special!!!
We had a nice Thanksgiving at our house... a bit crazy at times (too many cooks in the kitchen shall I say?) but truly nice. Matty, Kirb and I made "handprint Turkeys" the night before and also a nice placemat/runner with the leaves we collected on our last family walk (Erika's b-day get together before everyone got SO ill!). Erika brought her new beau (Darrel / Darryl? I'm not sure of the spelling!) A genuinely good hearted guy (from what I could tell) - a lot of mannerisms like Kirbs... (is that a GOOD thing? LOL).
God's blessings to you and Uncle Dick (and all the family!) We love you very much! xo Andrea