Thursday, September 06, 2007

My Sweetie Took a Tumble!


September '58 - the early years!

The Serious Cycling Years

For those of you who don't know it, my husband takes really great care of himself. He does situps every morning, walks 4+ km usually a day with me, swims like a fish, and before he did something to a ligament or or something to his knee from playing soccer, he played once a week. If that weren't enough, he is a serious bicycle rider. He dons his cycling clothes, fills up the water bottle and heads out on the road.


There are many perils on the road, but he is a skilled and careful rider. As in the Tour deFrance, dogs can be your enemy when you are riding (or walking!) But he has always made it home in one piece, safe and sound even if there was one time he came home with a bit of dog hair on his shoe.


Each time I always say, be careful. He always replies, "I will" and he means it.


It's just that today, as he was just starting out on his laps around The Grove, he made a quick decision to maneuver himself and his bike, and it went somewhat awry and down he went scraping up his right shoulder, leg and hip, and scraped his left hand. The newish jersey and cycling shoes are a bit scuffed up. The racing bike is somewhat battered, but my beloved is okay! When he went down, a kind lady stopped to ask if he was okay, and even offered to take him home (our home)! Fortunately he was alright and came home under his own steam.


I know after his bicycle comes back from the shop, he will be out and about again ready to hit the road. I just feel like we were very lucky, no broken bones, another story to tell, and for that I am thankful!

11 comments:

cathy said...

Oh Dad! I am glad you are OK! I am sure you will get the bike and gear all fixed up. And, the owies will heal and you will be back at it like Mom says.

Hey, I took that photo of Dad (the colour one!) I remember that like it was yesterday! UBC races. That was fun! xo

Allyson said...

Ya, you took that great photo. I was just telling Daddy that wasn't it great the way Cathy captures that "split second" when you were coming around the corner. So thank you Cathy!!!!

cathy said...

My pleasure...maybe we need an updated photo?!

Allyson said...

Good plan, I think we should too! Mind you, Dad hasn't changed all that much since you took that racing photo in the 80s. The helmut covers his age --tee hee! Now he's going to kill me. xxxooo

Unknown said...

Dad should not leave the house and become a fully retired hermit! It seems that he injures himself through soccer now cycling. It's best if he just stayed home. In all seriousness, I'm glad it wasn't a major accident and he's ok.
I do remember that photo of Dad cycling around the corner! I agree, a third photo is a perfect addition to the set.
Love love love
April
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am so glad and thankful that his mishap was just that...a mishap; nothing too serious. Polysporin and bandages! (I am sure you have enough of that in your house with your 6 grandkids!) Take care U.D. and I know that in no time you'll healed and back at it. xo Andrea xo

Allyson said...

Diesel and U.D. thank you all for your kind words. We're picking up the bike today. Let's not go to Cloverdale for bike repairs again!
xxx

The Hoegler Family said...

Get well soon Dick!

Love from Hege

Hope Walls said...

I hate eating asphalt. Glad your beloved is OK. I bet he misses his bike, though... ~cheers~

cathy said...

He is back, mountain biking to look at bridges being built, and apparently having the time of his life lol!! Now he is going to drag my son into this all lol! Just kidding!

Allyson said...

He's like a kid again! Remember the Retirement Party Theme? Back to Childhood. Well that's exactly what it's like, only more responsible.

Thanks everyone for your concern. He can't believe how great everyone has been. See, he's not a blogger. Right back to question 8 on my tagging!