Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Alabare and an Interesting Affect

As anyone who reads my daughter's blog, Murrayville Mom, would know, on Sunday morning our beautiful grandaughter, Caroline Mae was Baptised at Trinity Lutheran Church in Delta. It was a wonderful, sunny, happy, day. Pastor Terry wowed them with his Homily (but he does that every week as far as we are concerned), he blessed April and Nick's Baby-to-be at the Communion rail, and the family as a whole took up 4 pews! It was a wonderful day. The worshipping community had only seen Dick and I, they had heard rumours of family, and with the exception of Cameron and Claire attending with us, no-one else ever has.
As soon as Dick and I walked into the Sanctuary, little Catie called out Nanny and the fun was about to begin. Holding Catie, we settled into a pew, along with Cameron and Claire. Miss Carly was wandering around like Goldilocks, trying to find just the right place to sit, and as it turned out, she found many! Pastor Terry welcomed us and it became instantly apparent that Catie would not be sitting through worship today! She got down, she lay on the floor, she squeezed her head between my feet (which were planted firmly on the ground as I stood at the end of the pew, trying desperately to block her escape--all to no avail), she was complaining, I had to let her through. As she made her escape up the aisle, I decided I'd better follow her lead and leave. Just as this was happening, our pianist began playing Alabare which is a very peppy, Spanish song which we sing when using Setting 6, from With One Voice.
And this is where the interesting affect comes in...
For all of Catie's strong desire and determination to leave the Sanctuary, she stopped stone-still. I picked her up and began to sing along with the congregation. Catie's eyes scanned the congregation, and she silently watched and listened, she uttered not a peep. She was mesmerized by the fact that this entire body of people were all singing together. She didn't move a muscle, she just took it all in, and as soon as the hymn was over, she resumed her escape for freedom. I can't help but wonder, what was going through that little head of hers during the hymn, and we'll never know, but she sure was fascinated.
Catie in action during one of the pictures.
See Catie Run!
As a postscript, Catie's little Cousin, Matthew, whom his momma had worried over how he was going to be during service, fell fast asleep and didn't awake until the end. He is a good little Lutheran Andrea!

4 comments:

cathy said...

Mom, I posted a photo on my blog too of me running after Catie.

Allyson said...

I should have posted that one, it would have been even better, but on this one, we can see the beginning of the action!

Anonymous said...

Aunty Allyson, as I was saying to you before (and Cathy and I spoke about it as well), we really enjoyed attending Trinity Lutheran and so enjoyed Pastor Terry. Caroline's baptism was truly a beautiful day ~ all around. And yes, I was SO thankful that Matty behaved (in a sense!)... as you know, I was so worried b/c like Catie, he's a go-getter, a mover and a shaker and rarely sits still for anything. Like I said that Sunday, I guess church calmed the savage beast! LOL. Cathy and I spoke of trying to attend maybe once a month or something (depending on our schedules) ~ will he only be that good ALL the time?
Just a mention, before Matty fell asleep he too was mesmorized by the congregation (and Mommy, Daddy, Grandma and Grandpa) all singing in unison (or trying to!) I think it's a neat experience for them. Love to you. Andrea xo

Allyson said...

Do you know what I think? Andrea when we were at that fabu shower for April, everyone in the room ended up singing together remember? Well, maybe, just maybe we don't do enough of that as a group. And I know that I have heard Catie try to sing, and I'll bet Mattie does too. It hit a "chord" with them perhaps. We should all try and sing together when they are present sometime. I think it would be interesting and no matter the results - FUN! XXOO